Thursday, 24 January 2008

Jack and Samantha and the Grasshopper


‘Shhhh’ said Jack. ‘It’s over there on that leaf by the wheelbarrow’. Jack and Samantha crept ever so quietly, ever so slowly across the lawn on their hands and knees. The bright green grasshopper just sat there unaware that he was about to become Jacks new pet.

They got closer and closer and the grasshopper just sat there. Closer and closer then ‘Ouch!’

'Be quiet Samantha’ whispered Jack. I told you not to make a noise’

‘But I hurt my knee on a sharp twig’ hissed Samantha.’ It hurt’.

‘Don’t be such a girl, said Jack. ‘I knew I should have brought John’

‘I won’t help you if you are horrible to me’ said Samantha with a little tear in her eye. ‘Anyway, boys smell’.

The grasshopper still sat there. They were only a few feet away now. Closer and closer they went.

‘Have you got the jar?’ said Jack.

‘Of course I have’ whispered Samantha sounding a bit cross. ‘And I’ve put some grass in it.

Jack knelt up and made his hands into a cup shape. He shuffled forwards on his green knees, and then very slowly, very VERY slowly, he moved his hands towards the grasshopper and got ready to catch it and take it home.

Six inches away, three inches away, one inch away ......

Suddenly the grasshopper jumped high up in the air. Nearly as high as the house! It landed on a yellow flower by the shed door.

‘Grrrrr’ said Jack.

They crept ever so slowly, ever so quietly across the lawn on their hands and knees towards the yellow flower. The grasshopper just sat there. It made a chirrup sound and Samantha started to giggle.

Then she flung herself forward and reached out as far as she could to catch the grasshopper.

Again it jumped high into the sky. Nearly as high as the tree!

‘Now where is it?’ said Jack.’ I can hear it making that chirrup sound’.

‘I don’t know’ said Samantha . ‘It was a silly idea anyway’

‘I’ve got a better idea’ said Jack. ‘Let’s go and catch a butterfly!

‘You can go on your own’ said Samantha.’ I’m going to pick some daisies.

7 comments:

jadey said...

Oh what a cute story. Better luck next time catching that grasshopper lol.

Thinking aloud said...

that was fun...

i hav efights like that between my 10yrold and a neighbor, a 10yrold girl...

Preethi said...

cute cute story.. i am guilty of catching butterflies in high school.. we caught them in droves and put them in bottles.. (with holes in their lids). this was at school.. our teacher found out and made us release every one of them... I later found out that if you touched a butterfly, the powdery substance in its wings come off and they cant fly till the substance re-accumulate!! :)

UL said...

girls and girls and boys are boys :)

conny said...

ooh... it's just so cute.
You understand kids... my boys kept worms, crabs, bugs.... things that freak me!!
cool...

Marja said...

oh what an adorable story You have great insight in the minds of the children

Prats said...

This was such a cute story.
Thelines **I won’t help you if you are horrible to me’ said Samantha with a little tear in her eye. ‘Anyway, boys smell’** was priceless...I can just hear the giggle...