Saturday, 27 December 2008

the man in the moon

Little Tyler was staring out of his bedroom window. The sky was clear and the moon was huge.

He leaned his head on one side and then the other. He squinted and wrinkled his nose.

His sister Kate crept up behind him ‘Boo’ she shouted and Tyler almost jumped out of his skin!

‘What are you looking at Tyler?’ she asked.

‘The moon’ said Tyler’ I’m trying to see the man in the moon’

Kate giggled. ‘Don’t be silly Tyler, there’s no man in the moon. There can’t be because the moon is made of cheese’

‘Perhaps he likes cheese’ said Tyler.

Mum walked into the room. ‘Hi you two, what are you looking at?’

‘We are looking at the moon’ said Kate

‘The moon’s a balloon’ said Mum with a silly grin on her face ‘A big round yellow balloon’

They all looked at each other and laughed

‘Tyler believes a man lives in the moon’ chuckled Kate

‘Kate believes the moon is made of cheese’ laughed Kate ‘It’s not a balloon Mum!’

‘I’ll tell you what I believe’ said Mum ‘I believe its way past your bedtime!’

Kate went back to her room and opened the curtains just a little so she could just see the moon from her bed. She felt sure she saw a little mouse nibbling away at the surface.

Tyler took one last look before he jumped into bed and waved to the man in the moon - and I believe the man in the moon winked back.

2 comments:

jinksy said...

Guess I'm just a bg kid. I enjoyed the simplicity of this little tale - I can see it working as a tiny tots book. Have you had any books published?

Nara Malone said...

I was drawn to look at your children's stories because I'm putting together an interactive picture book. This story in particular struck me as one that would work well in that genre. I could just see the moon in all its forms--balloon, cheese, man. I liked the snowman story too.

I believe the site I'm using is called Interactive Touch books. I think you'd have fun with it.